Cranbrook Top Five in Hockeyville Competition
Cranbrook is among four other communities in the top five 2010 Kraft Hockeyville Competition and is the only community west of Ontario. The community with the most votes will win the title, vote by March 31! The winner will be announced on April 3 during Hockey Night in Canada!
Here are some outstanding reasons why Cranbrook should win this competition:
- Hometown of Scott Niedermayer, Team Canada hockey captain, who has won four Stanley Cups, and the Olympic Gold hockey medal twice.
- Ed Chynoweth (Hockey Hall of Fame) moved the Ice to Cranbrook in 1998. The Kootenay Ice have made the playoffs every year in the past 12 years, since they moved to Cranbrook, and have been to the Memorial Cup twice, winning it in 2002.
- Hometown of Rob Niedermayer, Brad Lukowich, Jon Klemm - all Stanley Cup winners - and so many other NHL players and coaches, like Tom Renney (Olympic Silver Medalist coach, World Hockey Championship, NHL).
- Hometown of the Spring and Murdoch hockey families.
- Steve Yzerman was born in Cranbrook and began his stellar hockey career here with Cranbrook Minor Hockey.
- Hometown of Colin Patterson, who received a National Award from Hockey Canada for his contribution to amateur hockey at a national level.
- Cranbrook is one of only a few towns in Canada to participate in, and host, the International Friendship Hockey Tournament, where the team with the least amount of penalties wins the tournament. Cranbrook Minor Hockey has helped to spread hockey around the world.
And it can only go on...
The winning community receives $100,000 in Arena upgrades & a pre-season NHL Exhibition game to be played @ the Cranbrook RecPlex!
How to Vote:
This takes you right to the Cranbrook Rec Plex page or you can just google Hockeyville Cranbrook and get to the Cranbrook page that way. Type in the words provided and click “Submit Vote”.
Once you get the “Thanks we’ve received your vote” message, hit your back arrow and it takes you right back to the Cranbrook voting page to vote again. If you vote right on the Cranbrook page, you don’t have to scroll down to look for Cranbrook. Voting is unlimited so vote as often as you like.
You can also vote by phone call 1-866-533-8066 (Toll-free), follow voice prompts to enter 04 (city vote code for Cranbrook) and enter the 2 digit vote verification code provided. Or text “vote Cranbrook” to 111888.